Sweet Home Farm - Elberta, AL — Cheese Farm , Things To Do — MB Reviews
/* MB Reviews: Sweet Home Farm - Elberta, AL */

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sweet Home Farm - Elberta, AL

Talk about a diamond in the rough! This locally owned and operated cheese farm, not far from the FL-AL border, is more than worth the trip. Yes, they have a website (sort of) http://www.southerncheese.com/Pages/sweethome.html, but unfortunately they left off two of my favorites: the habanero cheese that you will never match anywhere else and the garlic blue cheese - the name pretty much says it all. I also really enjoy the montebella; it's pretty mild, but I still think is has a great flavor that's not quite like what you get in the stores. They also carry Amish butter in 2 lb logs which I keep telling myself I really need to try (I'll keep you posted).

Since the website pretty much describes their product as well as their farming philosophy, I'll let you check out the link above for more on that. However, they failed to mention the cute, quaint shop. The man and woman working there are picture perfect for the scene. Really, I feel like I'm in an episode of Anne of Green Gables or perhaps Little House on the Prairie. It's pretty entertaining - in a good way. Oh and they let you taste anything you want to try so if you are unsure from a trip to their website, just go and see for yourself.

For entertaining the kiddos, this is pretty easy if you have a second adult. Because the shop is so small I like to let my friend or husband hang outside with the kids while I go inside and then switch. They have lots of chickens that the kids love to look at and the best part for them is the real, live turkey that hangs out in front. In fact, we really got a show the other day when we visited. I guess he wanted to show off his feathers and felt he needed to show who was boss. He was just gobbling away and everyone was fully entertained long enough for every adult to take a turn tasting and buying cheese. I now realize why in the American language we say the turkey says "gobble gobble". It really sounds like that!

Bon Appétit!

No comments: